Seattle, WA, 98102
Joined on August, 2014
Weekdays after 11AM
Weekends in the afternoon
Weekends in the afternoon
Up to 20 minutes away for no additional charge
EducationBachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering at University of California, Los Angeles - 2004
Master of Education, Secondary Curriculum at Jones International University, expected graduation 2015
ExperiencePrevious Tutoring Experience:
1. Three years of one-on-one tutoring in Math, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Calculus, Spanish, ESL, and test preparation such as SAT, GRE, and FE/EIT. See my existing Wyzant approved profile at http://www.wyzant.com/Tutors/WA/Seattle/7917861/
2. One year of on-demand online tutoring in Algebra, Trigonometry, and Calculus for www.tutor.com.
3. One year as a volunteer instructor for two weekly adult ESL classes at the South Everett Neighborhood Center.
Being a tutor is one of the most amazing ways of connecting with students in one-on-one settings that allow for lessons tailored the student's learning style, experience, and background. The interaction between tutor and student is unique and learning really takes place both ways.
My experience with the subjects I tutors stems mainly from my career in engineering and my deep interest in all that math and languages have to offer. I continue to sharpen my skills through self-paced courses, review, and tutoring. Regarding educational approaches, my graduate work has afforded me great opportunities to work in actual high school classrooms and keep up to date on theories of learning
that I find invaluable for tutoring.
A few of my favorite teaching accomplishments include:
1. An intense Algebra II summer tutoring experience for a 10th grade student who wanted to advanced directly from Algebra I to Pre-calculus. Preparing lessons that aligned with what would have been the Algebra II classroom curriculum was both challenging and highly educative.
2. Teaching two weekly adult ESL classes as a volunteer for a year at the South Everett Neighborhood Center. Managing meaningful lessons for adult students with very specific language goals was rewarding and one of the greatest experiences in my evolving teaching career.
HobbiesI have a creative side that mainly manifests itself through oil painting, music composition, poetry, and teaching. I enjoy reading, in particular mystery, science fiction, and historical fiction. I love Shakespeare's plays and have a very broad taste in music, ranging from Beethoven to pop, from medieval chants to symphonic rock. When it comes to movies I truly enjoy British comedy, foreign drama, science fiction. In the sports arena I mainly appreciate soccer and gymnastics.
As far as my teaching approach, I believe that academic success benefits greatly from other interests that spur the imagination. As a person of many interests, I am always ready to learn about what things students care about because in even the smallest of interests lies curiosity that can lead and shape learning. I prefer to make tutoring as fun as possible, taking feedback from the student, the parents, and the learning environment to create a successful tutor-student relationship.
Inquire about this tutor
The tutor will respond if they are available/interested.